Thursday was the first day that was really full of surprises. It all started in the morning...
Carolina woke up and so I took it upon myself to change her. I took her to the changing room and took off her onesie. I undid her diaper to check for poo but did not notice any. All I saw was that it was a bit wet. I checked the indicator on the outside of the diaper and sure enough it indicated that it had been wetted.
So I looked away into the top drawer of her dresser to get a new diaper. When I looked back at her diaper to take it off, I now noticed that it was soiled. This blew my mind in that it had only been a second since I had only noticed wetness, but now it was full of poo. Lesson 2010.09.23-1: if you don't keep your eye on your kids, you are liable to find your kid in crap. So I changed her and learned that I better be ready to make a quick change of diapers because crap tends to happen quick.
Later on in the day she had woken up from a nap when I picked her up and held her for a while. I sat her on my knee and was rubing her back. She was wearing a fleece sleeping onesie. As I was rubbing her back I noticed that the fleece didn't quite feel how I expected it to. In fact, it felt kind of...WET! I looked at her back and she had a pretty big wet spot. She had blown right through her diaper. I didn't know what to do. I looked at my wife and mother-in-law and exclaimed, "Baby Blow-out! Baby Blow-out!" I saw them look at me like I was crazy. Since my sense of urgency appeared to be a lot higher than theirs, I jumped to action.
I headed toward the baby's room. As I stood in front of the changing table I analyzed the situation which went kind of like this, "Changing pad... pad cover is clean... baby lays on back... baby's back is soiled... changing pad will get dirty if baby lies on back.... can I stand dirtying the Changing Pad Cover? No... alternatives... change baby in sink (denied)... place towel or other material as buffer between kid and Changing Pad Cover (approved). What is available at close range? Towel (No). Cloth diaper (Yes)."
It sounds like a lot, but I think that the whole sequence above took about 10 seconds to get through.
So in the end this is what I did. I took a cloth diaper from the bottom drawer of the dresser and set it on the Changing Pad Cover. I laid Carolina on it without reservation. I took off her soiled clothes and cleaned her well using only wipies. I got her all cleaned up and got clean clothes on her.
Once it was all taken care of, I returned to the living room where my wife was and told her how I had handled situation and why I had made the decisions that I did. I also remarked to her that the next time that there was a baby blow-out, I would be announcing it simply as a Code Brown.
Upon review of the day's proceedings, Carolina seemed to have pooped a lot more than she had previously and it had been more watery. I dawned to us that Mama had been taking a stool softener and it must have made it's way into Carolina's body via the breast milk. Mama felt guilty and decided to stop taking the softener. Lesson 2010.09.23-2: Anything that goes in the Mama's body will probably make its way to the baby via the breast milk.
Tomorrow, we expect baby's poo to not be as watery and for her to not poo as often as she will no longer be dealing with a stool softening agent in her nutrition supply.
Friday, September 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment